Macenstein’s Ultimate DragonVale Breeding Guide

DragonVale BREEDING Guide

*** NOTE: IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR DRAGONVALE FRIENDS TO SWAP GEMS WITH, PLEASE POST YOUR INFO ON OUR DRAGONVALE FRIEND REQUESTS POST, NOT ON THE INDIVIDUAL BREEDING POSTS. THANKS!!***

So it appears more than a few of you are looking for tips on breeding various Dragons in DragonValeicon (Free/Universal). If you’re not familiar with the game, you can read our review here, but suffice it to say it’s one of those “time burglars” where you raise and cross-breed various dragon-types to create the ultimate Magical Dragon zoo. Ultimately pointless, yet addicting. Unfortunately, some dragons can be hard to get, and though you may TRY to breed a combinations that looks like they should get you a hard-to-get Rainbow or Moon Dragon or such, sometimes it just doesn’t happen. So we decided to put out a list of what we have found to work for each Dragon Type. I currently have a couple of every dragon (my Game Center ID is “Dr Macenstein” if you’d like to check out my dragons) and while many of them can be gotten with different combos, I will tell you only what breeding combinations actually DID work for me. I will warn you that occasionally even the right combination may take up 20 times or even more, but I promise you, these combinations WILL work. Eventually. Also note a couple of these dragons are “seasonal”, and may not be available at the moment no matter what dragons you breed. Finally, I suggest for most hybrids you purchase the Breeding Island (located under “ISLANDS” in the market) as it can increase your odds when attempting to breed a particularly hard to get hybrid. That being said I think I have also bred most of these with the regular breeding cave as well. ALSO, please note: For pretty much every dragon I have found that the order does NOT matter, despite what people say. For instance I got a Plasma with Lightning and Seaweed, and my wife got it with Seaweed and Lightning. So feel free to mix up the order of my suggestions if you’d like. Again, I’m just telling you what worked for me. Also, if you breed two dragons and want to know what the result will be before they hatch, check out this handy “List of DragonVale dragon incubation and Breeding Times” I threw together. And if you’re looking for “Suggestions for winning DragonVale Races”, click here.

First up we have the “Elemental Dragons”. These cannot be bred – you have to shell out coins for these – so start saving. On the plus side, these dragons make up the building blocks for all other dragons, so once you have them, you can get the rest (well, ALMOST all the rest).

Elemental Dragons

(These can only be purchased with coins, or bred with an existing pair you have purchased)
EARTH DRAGON:
PLANT DRAGON:
FIRE DRAGON:
COLD DRAGON:
LIGHTNING DRAGON:
WATER DRAGON:
METAL DRAGON:

OK, so if you have two or more of those, let’s see what you can make!

(Click a Dragon’s name to see its breeding guide)

ABYSS DRAGON:

BEARDED DRAGON:

NEW! BERRY DRAGON:

NEW! BICENTENNIAL DRAGON:

NEW! BIZURIAN DRAGON:

BLAZING DRAGON:

BLIZZARD DRAGON:

BLOOM DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around Easter)

BLUE FIRE DRAGON:

BONE DRAGON: (Seasonal – Halloween Dragon)

BLUE MOON DRAGON: (Only Available September 7th – 10th!)

BOUQUET DRAGON:

BRASS DRAGON:

BRONZE DRAGON:

BRONZE OLYMPUS DRAGON:

BUTTERFLY DRAGON: (seasonal – Only breedable in Spring – ended June 27th)

CACTUS DRAGON:

CARNIVAL DRAGON:

CAVE DRAGON:

CELTIC DRAGON: (Only breedable in March)

CENTURY DRAGON:

CHROME DRAGON:

CLOVER DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred in March (around St. Patrick’s Day)

CORAL DRAGON:

DREAM DRAGON:

DUNGEON DRAGON:

NEW! DUSK DRAGON:

ELECTRUM DRAGON:

NEW! ELYSIUM DRAGON:

EMBER DRAGON:

EMERALD DRAGON: (Seasonal – can only be bred in the Month of May)

EQUINOX DRAGON:

EVERGREEN DRAGON

FIREFLY DRAGON:

FIREWORK DRAGON (SEASONAL – Only breedable in the weeks preceding and following the 4th of July)

FLASH DRAGON:

FLOWER DRAGON:

FOG DRAGON:

FOREST DRAGON:

FORGE DRAGON:

NEW! FROSTBITE DRAGON:

FROSTFIRE DRAGON:

FUNGUS DRAGON:

GAMMA DRAGON:

GARNET DRAGON: (Only breedable in January)

GEODE DRAGON:

NEW! JET DRAGON:

KAIROS DRAGON:

NEW! KITE DRAGON:

NEW! LAPIS DRAGON:

LAVA DRAGON:

NEW! LEAF DRAGON:

LEAP YEAR DRAGON: (Seasonal Can only be bred in February of a Leap Year, thus far)

NEW! LEATHERY DRAGON:

LIBERTY DRAGON:

LICHEN DRAGON:

LIGHT DRAGON:

LIGHT RIFT DRAGON:

NEW! LODESTONE DRAGON:

NEW! LOOT DRAGON:

LOTUS DRAGON:

LOVE DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around Valentine’s Day)

LUMINOUS DRAGON:

LUNAR ECLIPSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in the days surrounding a Lunar Eclipse)

MAGNETIC DRAGON:

OOZE DRAGON:

OPAL DRAGON:

ORCHID DRAGON:

OUROBORS DRAGON:

OVALITH DRAGON:

PALLADIUM DRAGON:

PANLONG DRAGON: (Can only be bred in “The Year of the Dragon” (2012))

PAPER DRAGON: Limited: Only available until September 24th

PEARL DRAGON: (Seasonal – can only be bred in the Month of June)

PEPPER DRAGON:

PERIDOT DRAGON: (LIMITED: Can only be bred in August)

PLASMA DRAGON:

QUAKE DRAGON:

QUICKSILVER DRAGON:

RADIANT DRAGON:

NEW! RAGNAROK DRAGON:

RAIN DRAGON:

RAINBOW DRAGON:

REINDEER DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around December/Early January)

RIVER DRAGON:

ROOT DRAGON:

ROSE DRAGON:

RUBY DRAGON:

RUIN DRAGON:

RUST DRAGON:

SAKURA DRAGON: (Seasonal Can only be bred in April/May, thus far)

SALAMANDER DRAGON:

SAND DRAGON:

SANDSTORM DRAGON:

SAPPHIRE DRAGON: (LIMITED: Can only be bred in September)

SCORIA DRAGON (SLAG DRAGON):

SCORCH DRAGON:

SEASONAL DRAGON:

SEAWEED DRAGON:

NEW! SEED DRAGON:

NEW! SHADOW DRAGON:

SHIMMER DRAGON:

SILVER OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SILVER DRAGON:

SMOKE DRAGON:

SOLAR ECLIPSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in the days surrounding a Solar Eclipse)

SNOW DRAGON:

NEW! SNOWFLAKE DRAGON:

SNOWY BRONZE OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SNOWY GOLD OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SNOWY SILVER OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SOLSTICE DRAGON: (SEASONAL – Only breedable around the Summer Solstice (June 20th in 2012)

SONIC DRAGON:

NEW! SORARIAN DRAGON:

SPARK DRAGON:

SPRING DRAGON: (Only breedable in Spring)

SPROUT DRAGON:

STEEL DRAGON:

STORM DRAGON:

SULFUR DRAGON:

SUMMER DRAGON: (Only breedable in Summer)

SUN DRAGON:

NEW! SUNSTRUCK DRAGON:

SWAMP DRAGON:

TERRADIEM DRAGON:

NEW! THORN DRAGON:

THUNDER DRAGON:

NEW! TIDAL DRAGON:

TOPAZ DRAGON: (Only breedable in November)

NEW! TOURMALINE DRAGON:

TREE DRAGON:

TURQUIOSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in December)

VICTORY DRAGON:

WATCH DRAGON:

WILLOW DRAGON:

WIND DRAGON:

WINTER DRAGON:

WISP DRAGON:

WRAITH DRAGON:

ZOMBIE DRAGON:

Comments
2,377 Responses to “Macenstein’s Ultimate DragonVale Breeding Guide”
  1. William says:

I bred a light rift dragon and a dark dragon together and have gotten a 48 hr dragon…. I have the dargonvale breeding app
    I looked up what I got and it said only dark dragons and light dragons… But their breeding time is not as close as it was to 48 hrs. Also I am doing this on the new breeding island you get on the valentines update.

2. Connor says:

I Have bred the aurora dragon and the electrum dragon together for 48 hours but it says on every website invalid combination

3. RaydenGD says:

I AM A DAILY PLAYER ADD ME! GEM FOR GEM! gamecenter- RaydenGD

4. I have 3 Ovalithdragons and I Just bred my fourth right when it came out. I need help breeding more gemstone dragons cause I dont have much. I only have 13

5. Dorothy Phillips says:

Looking for people to exchange gems with I play everyday I’m dorothy.28 in the Game Center.

6. My gamecenter is TropicalNinja2001 if you want to trade gems on Dragonvale! I will give you gems everyday and check out your parks on Dragonvale!

7. Miggy says:

I just got a Terradiem without even knowing it was available. Used the Mountain and Rain.

8. Bek says:

I bred a crystal dragon with a glacier dragon and its taking 1:23:58:45, what could it be?

9. Monica80311 says:

My gamecenter id is Monica80311

10. nagreen8790 says:

I bred a fire and coral Dragon and got 1 day and 25 hours breeding time anyone have any ideas of what I got

11. Mm112345 says:

My game centre Id is mm112345 add me as a friend. I play regularly.

12. Pittypat69 says:

Anybody figuring out this latest Galaxy dragons. Everyone seems to have started with an Arturion dragon but no one seems to advance them past 10. They will go up to 15.

13. Sabrina J says:

Hi, you can add me on fb, I’m listed as ****. I have the polarian and antarian, both level 15. I’m currently breeding sorarian, so I’ll soon have 3 of the 5 galaxy dragons. I’ll change the dragons, according to the requests I get. My gem slots are full, but I’ll be fair and return any gem that you send me. I play daily. People who have an arcturian or bizurian dragon are especially welcome :)
    Greets and happy dragon breeding!

lvl 56
    Dragons: 193 out of 222
    Galaxy: antarian, polarian, both lvl 15

• Michelle Mesi says:

Add me on FB ****, just send me a message that you are a dragonvale player, so I know. I won’t add strangers. Thanks. ????

14. Fanny says:

Inokulera like som friends to change gems with? I play daily…

15. Linda says:

Dr M, can u please change from the solo arias to the biz urial or arcturian dragon in the coop cave. No one I’m friends with has those but you. Also big time thanks for helping so much figuring out the breeding pairs. Honestly don’t think could play this game without your help. It would be so frustrating. I am one of you regular followers and suppliers of gems. Thank you

16. Ahabbasi says:

Can we increase rainbow, seasonal, moon or Sun etc from level 10 to level 15.

17. Ahabbasi says:

Can any one help me how to increase rainbow, seasonal, olympus and other special Dragon’s level from 10 to 15

18. Looking for people to exchange gems send me a friend request at: **** for Game Center on every day after and before school.

19. Julia says:

My GC is juliahoffman. I’m looking for people with arcturian, sorarian or bizurian dragons. My antarian and polarian are lvl.11.

• Julia says:

I just need a bizurian now, I have all other dragons lvl 11. Would anyone with a bizurian like to help me breed one?

• Thomin8r says:

I am still working on the Arcturian and the Sorarian, but have a couple of level 15 Bizurian.
        Add me if you like.
        Thomin8r on GC

20. Sara says:

Add me please…I play daily

Game centre id: ****

21. Julie says:

Add me please I play daily
    Game centre ID. Is ****

22. Ann says:

Hi Dragonvale Friends,
    I’m looking for people to exchange gems with, and use the cooperative breeding island to get all of the galaxy dragons. My Game Center ID is AVThompson. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Ann

23. Kt says:

I bred antarian and snowflake. 9 hour and 50 min incubation. I got a hybrid lava dragon. Same look as regular lava but individual view has gold outside. Egg was (outside in)surrounded in gold light, silver diamonds and red ball that sparkled and was centered down left.

24. joana says:

It doesn’t let me add people idk why

25. Rainbow Star says:

Hey guys!!!! What would happen if i bred a seasonal and fire dragon together? I’ll tell you when i try it. But i bred Antorian and seasonal and got 12 hour breeding time… What could it be?

26. Em Salad says:

Using Galaxy breeding with my Solar (10) & The Great Nogard’s Fire Dragon (4) I’ve got a dragon ‘TWIN’. It hasn’t hatched yet and the egg pattern hasn’t appeared here. Anyone else got this? I wish I could put a picture here of the egg :/

27. Grey says:

I bred a sea weed dragon with a polarian in the cooperative breeding cave and got a rain dragon egg. But it’s different. It has a blue out line and white ish sparkles on it. Also when I click on the nursery it shows it with a blue back ground and a thick gold square around it. What does this mean?

28. Barry says:

Hey guys i have Antarian drag so pls ad gamecenter id : Ar-An
    So pls i need dem dragons thx i have dragon sai to gift as well

29. jojo says:

It doesn’t let me add friends….can anyone help?

30. Sara gardner says:

What about the coal dragon? It showed up but there is no info on it.

31. Nichole says:

Can you trade items and dragons with your friends? If so how?

32. Jess says:

In the ‘guess the dragon’ game in the dragon faire event the dragon that was the one I had to guess was the Loot dragon. Anyone heard of this one? I don’t see it on the list Doc! ??

33. Carencey says:

Mac, your site is great, but the redirects on mobile are making it completely unusable. :( don’t mind viewing ads on the page to help support you but they are pushing me off the site altogether on about 75% of clicks now.

34. Sleeper0705 says:

I have tried to buy the snowflake dragon being offered during this special event, but I get the message that I don’t have room in my dragonarium! I only have two, so what gives?

35. Rob Turrentine says:

What about the Tidal Dragon?

36. Mielikki says:

Need a friend with a tidal dragon to breed to mine. GameCenter name Mielikki.

37. Payton says:

Dr.Macenstien please let me be your friend, I’m a really low level and I need help getting more money for more dragons. The best way I figured out to get that money so far is to get more galaxy dragons. It seems that you have all of them so it would be very helpful if you were to agree to this friend request.

38. Laura says:

Has this been updated since the DragonFaire Dragons have been released?

39. Amanda says:

Dr. Maceinstein

Have you considered a page on what all the extras do? You know like: twilight tower, goods treatery, and things you can buy at the faire. I have forgotten what all these extras do. Just a thought, but I’d love a picture of items you can buy and what they let you do. Thanks

40. Rain On Fire says:

Where are you, Dr. Macenstein? Haven’t seen any recent updates from you lately and hoping you’re okay.

41. Barrea says:

FYI there is a new Crystailline dragon called Tormailline, its combo is Crystal+Electrum. Just wanted to get the word out!

42. Mommamcd says:

Has anyone gotten the tourmaline dragon yet?

43. Allen says:

Tourmaline dragon?

44. Cheyenne says:

you have updated this to put the tourmaline dragon on yet?!
    ????

45. Tina says:

Is there a way to breed a coal dragon? It’s the only one left I still need. Thanks for any help. T

46. DNKtrade says:

sorry to everyone, Doc’s is best. It’s organized by incubation time rather than combos so it only takes one step to get your answer. Doc’s info on combinations is much more reliable too!!!! He only posts what he knows works.

47. So tell me how to get friends

48. Tina says:

If you friend me on Facebook, I can add you, but I don’t have gems to give. Sorry. Good luck. Tina