Macenstein’s Ultimate DragonVale Breeding Guide

DragonVale BREEDING Guide

*** NOTE: IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR DRAGONVALE FRIENDS TO SWAP GEMS WITH, PLEASE POST YOUR INFO ON OUR DRAGONVALE FRIEND REQUESTS POST, NOT ON THE INDIVIDUAL BREEDING POSTS. THANKS!!***

So it appears more than a few of you are looking for tips on breeding various Dragons in DragonValeicon (Free/Universal). If you’re not familiar with the game, you can read our review here, but suffice it to say it’s one of those “time burglars” where you raise and cross-breed various dragon-types to create the ultimate Magical Dragon zoo. Ultimately pointless, yet addicting. Unfortunately, some dragons can be hard to get, and though you may TRY to breed a combinations that looks like they should get you a hard-to-get Rainbow or Moon Dragon or such, sometimes it just doesn’t happen. So we decided to put out a list of what we have found to work for each Dragon Type. I currently have a couple of every dragon (my Game Center ID is “Dr Macenstein” if you’d like to check out my dragons) and while many of them can be gotten with different combos, I will tell you only what breeding combinations actually DID work for me. I will warn you that occasionally even the right combination may take up 20 times or even more, but I promise you, these combinations WILL work. Eventually. Also note a couple of these dragons are “seasonal”, and may not be available at the moment no matter what dragons you breed. Finally, I suggest for most hybrids you purchase the Breeding Island (located under “ISLANDS” in the market) as it can increase your odds when attempting to breed a particularly hard to get hybrid. That being said I think I have also bred most of these with the regular breeding cave as well. ALSO, please note: For pretty much every dragon I have found that the order does NOT matter, despite what people say. For instance I got a Plasma with Lightning and Seaweed, and my wife got it with Seaweed and Lightning. So feel free to mix up the order of my suggestions if you’d like. Again, I’m just telling you what worked for me. Also, if you breed two dragons and want to know what the result will be before they hatch, check out this handy “List of DragonVale dragon incubation and Breeding Times” I threw together. And if you’re looking for “Suggestions for winning DragonVale Races”, click here.

First up we have the “Elemental Dragons”. These cannot be bred – you have to shell out coins for these – so start saving. On the plus side, these dragons make up the building blocks for all other dragons, so once you have them, you can get the rest (well, ALMOST all the rest).

Elemental Dragons

(These can only be purchased with coins, or bred with an existing pair you have purchased)
EARTH DRAGON:
PLANT DRAGON:
FIRE DRAGON:
COLD DRAGON:
LIGHTNING DRAGON:
WATER DRAGON:
METAL DRAGON:

OK, so if you have two or more of those, let’s see what you can make!

(Click a Dragon’s name to see its breeding guide)

ABYSS DRAGON:

ACID DRAGON:

AIR DRAGON:

AMBER DRAGON:

AMETHYST DRAGON:

APOCALYPSE DRAGON:

AQUAMARINE DRAGON:

ARBOR DRAGON:

ARCTIC DRAGON:

ASH DRAGON:

AUTUMN DRAGON:

BEARDED DRAGON:

BLAZING DRAGON:

BLIZZARD DRAGON:

BLOOM DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around Easter)

BLUE FIRE DRAGON:

BONE DRAGON: (Seasonal – Halloween Dragon)

BLUE MOON DRAGON: (Only Available September 7th – 10th!)

BOUQUET DRAGON:

BRASS DRAGON:

BRONZE DRAGON:

BRONZE OLYMPUS DRAGON:

BUTTERFLY DRAGON: (seasonal – Only breedable in Spring – ended June 27th)

CACTUS DRAGON:

CARNIVAL DRAGON:

CAVE DRAGON:

CELTIC DRAGON: (Only breedable in March)

CENTURY DRAGON:

CHROME DRAGON:

CLOVER DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred in March (around St. Patrick’s Day)

CORAL DRAGON:

DOUBLE RAINBOW DRAGON:

DREAM DRAGON:

DUNGEON DRAGON:

NEW! DUSK DRAGON:

ELECTRUM DRAGON:

EMBER DRAGON:

EMERALD DRAGON: (Seasonal – can only be bred in the Month of May)

EQUINOX DRAGON:

EVERGREEN DRAGON

FIREFLY DRAGON:

FIREWORK DRAGON (SEASONAL – Only breedable in the weeks preceding and following the 4th of July)

FLASH DRAGON:

FLOWER DRAGON:

FOG DRAGON:

FOREST DRAGON:

FORGE DRAGON:

FROSTFIRE DRAGON:

FUNGUS DRAGON:

GAMMA DRAGON:

GARNET DRAGON: (Only breedable in January)

NEW! GEODE DRAGON:

NEW! JET DRAGON:

KAIROS DRAGON:

NEW! KITE DRAGON:

NEW! LAPIS DRAGON:

LAVA DRAGON:

NEW! LEAF DRAGON:

LEAP YEAR DRAGON: (Seasonal Can only be bred in February of a Leap Year, thus far)

NEW! LEATHERY DRAGON:

LIBERTY DRAGON:

LICHEN DRAGON:

LIGHT DRAGON:

LIGHT RIFT DRAGON:

LOTUS DRAGON:

LOVE DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around Valentine’s Day)

LUMINOUS DRAGON:

LUNAR ECLIPSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in the days surrounding a Lunar Eclipse)

MAGNETIC DRAGON:

OOZE DRAGON:

OPAL DRAGON:

ORCHID DRAGON:

OUROBORS DRAGON:

OVALITH DRAGON:

PALLADIUM DRAGON:

PANLONG DRAGON: (Can only be bred in “The Year of the Dragon” (2012))

PAPER DRAGON: Limited: Only available until September 24th

PEARL DRAGON: (Seasonal – can only be bred in the Month of June)

PEPPER DRAGON:

PERIDOT DRAGON: (LIMITED: Can only be bred in August)

PLASMA DRAGON:

PLATINUM DRAGON:

PHANTOM DRAGON:

POISON DRAGON:

POLLEN DRAGON:

NEW! PRISM DRAGON:

PROMETHIUM DRAGON:

QUAKE DRAGON:

QUICKSILVER DRAGON:

RADIANT DRAGON:

NEW! RAGNAROK DRAGON:

RAIN DRAGON:

RAINBOW DRAGON:

REINDEER DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around December/Early January)

RIVER DRAGON:

ROOT DRAGON:

ROSE DRAGON:

RUBY DRAGON:

RUIN DRAGON:

RUST DRAGON:

SAKURA DRAGON: (Seasonal Can only be bred in April/May, thus far)

SALAMANDER DRAGON:

SAND DRAGON:

SANDSTORM DRAGON:

SAPPHIRE DRAGON: (LIMITED: Can only be bred in September)

SCORIA DRAGON (SLAG DRAGON):

SCORCH DRAGON:

SEASONAL DRAGON:

SEAWEED DRAGON:

NEW! SHADOW DRAGON:

SHIMMER DRAGON:

SILVER OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SILVER DRAGON:

SMOKE DRAGON:

SOLAR ECLIPSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in the days surrounding a Solar Eclipse)

SOLSTICE DRAGON: (SEASONAL – Only breedable around the Summer Solstice (June 20th in 2012)

SNOW DRAGON:

SNOWY BRONZE OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SNOWY GOLD OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SNOWY SILVER OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SONIC DRAGON:

SPARK DRAGON:

SPRING DRAGON: (Only breedable in Spring)

SPROUT DRAGON:

STEEL DRAGON:

STORM DRAGON:

SULFUR DRAGON:

SUMMER DRAGON: (Only breedable in Summer)

SUN DRAGON:

NEW! SUNSTRUCK DRAGON:

SWAMP DRAGON:

TERRADIEM DRAGON:

THUNDER DRAGON:

TOPAZ DRAGON: (Only breedable in November)

TREE DRAGON:

TURQUIOSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in December)

VICTORY DRAGON:

WATCH DRAGON:

WILLOW DRAGON:

WIND DRAGON:

WINTER DRAGON:

WISP DRAGON:

WRAITH DRAGON:

ZOMBIE DRAGON:

Comments
2,284 Responses to “Macenstein’s Ultimate DragonVale Breeding Guide”
  1. Skr0222 says:

Hi Dr. Macenstein,

My Internet may be running slow, I hadn’t seen this updated on your site yet about the new dragon. The Obsidian Dragon (Earth and Fire elements). I have two breeding, but not sure how to send pics to you. In the EBC I breed Fire Lvl 15 and Mud Lvl 17 (both have been through the FOY) and on the EBS I breed Fire Lvl 15 and Mud Lvl 8. Normal incubation time is 8 hours, and the upgraded incubation is 6 hours 24 minutes.

Hope this is helpful! Now if I could just get the final fragment for the first puzzle so I could move on to the next two to summon Kairos, I would be excited! Keep landing on pieces I already got!

• Annie says:

Dr. Mac,
      I am a relative newbie in the scheme of things. However, I’m an ultra player in that I am disabled an this game is “easy” for me to use..
      However, I have a problem. Over the months I have played I have been fortunate to find ‘friends’ who are loyal gem traders. I finally got my list down to 6 for my gifting tree, but tonight, not all the names freed up so I was unable to give 3 gems.
      WHY????!!
      What am I doing or not doing for this to happen?!

Thanks,
      Annie
      ….and may the odds be ever in your favor!

• Kahua21 says:

Backflip knows about this problem. Readvthe faqs on your option button. I keep about 14 friends on my trading list so that I can trade all my 6 gems daily. My friends names will become available the next day if they are greyed out .If this becomes too much of a problem, send Backflip a message.

• Annie says:

Also turning off you device and turning it back on often re- highlights them.

2. DNKtrade says:

Wouldn’t it be great if we were able to move the large trees that come with new islands?!?! The trees that can be purchased are cute but don’t have much character and are too uniform and small.

3. Elizabeth says:

I agree! In this time we should not believe that destroying our wildlife is good!! We should be teaching preservation and wisdom toward our world! Not destruction!!!

4. brigoth says:

Looking for 2 additional gem trading partners. Had 6 but 2 dont trade every day anymore, so I am replacing them. Tell me your intentions in your friend request. I gem trade every day, and expect the same out of a partner! Username is brigoth

5. AngEngland says:

Just got the dragon tree – would love another two or three gem trading partners! AngEngland

6. Teresa says:

i have one clover dragon and was wondering if it is possible to get another by breeding this one with a plant or tree or something. i keep getting a moss eggs. my husband had only one equinox and breed with solstice and got another one.. Anyone have any ideas

• Cordell says:

I think thats because both solctice and equinox are rare dragons and clovee is a rare dragon which is a limites dragon which can only be bred with the same dragon or within its spawning time with the dragons used to get your first one

7. Elizabeth says:

That’s the only for all of us to live:))

8. Annie says:

DRAT!!
    I had suspected something like that and thought about somehow “rotating”.
    My group is SO loyal, as I am to them…when they are not greyed out!…that I didn’t want to change anything. So, I cleared to 14+ requests I had.
    Thank you for your response!! I will manage as best I can!
    Annie GC is >>Moosh<<

…And May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor!

9. Matt England says:

Anyone want to trade gem for gem daily add me NIKKIEENGLAND

10. Gordon says:

Hi, My gamecenter name is gorhong. Add me please. i play everyday

11. Ariesterday says:

Add me “Ariesterday”

12. Ralphy2108 says:

Hi doc do u know if there is going to be a eclipse dragon cos I just bought a decoration that would suggest so? If there is do u know wen???

13. marshmallow says:

add me gamecenter username ” MARSHMALLOW.96″

14. Susan says:

Hey Mac, what does this new decoration “umbral” go with??

• Terin_lu says:

Rumors of a eclipse dragon. There is a full solar eclipse on the 13th of this month and a lunar eclipse on the 28th.

15. anaestaisia says:

Hi there I invited friends on game center so i could trade gem for gem however i seem to have been gifted gems but
    I have no new friends added on my dragonvale or on my game center how can I give gems back if there not added as friends ? any advice please

16. Cody says:

Everyone add me to trade gems!!!!!!
    —–> Sexypants8888 <——-

17. Reddydukes says:

I need people trade gems with, so add me, Reddydukes.

18. Meghna says:

I read somewhere that u get the colored ball at the top of dragon’s head if you have 50 level ten dragons. I got 50 of them,but dont see anything on their heads :-( Please help if you know anything regarding this! Also trading gems..
    GameCenterID : Meghu 389

• Terin_lu says:

Did you get the shrines? Each element has a shrine, once you get a shrine for a element and get 50 level 10 dragons of that element you can level your dragons up to 15. You get the little balls when a dragon is at about level 13.

• Meghna says:

Thanks a lot for the tip,i guess m missing one shrine..il get that as soon as i gather the cash to buy it :-) Thx again!!

• Terin_lu says:

Ok, maybe I’m misunderstanding you but you can’t just have 50 dragons that are level 10. You have to have 50 level 10 dragons for EACH shrine. Like plant shrine = 50 level plant/plant hybrid dragons, fire shrine = 50 level 10 fire/fire hybrid dragons and so on.

• Meghna says:

OMG!!!!
            Thats tooo much,i have a looooong way to go then…ughhh,here I thought I just needed 50-level 10 dragons :-/ So if I get 50 (level 10s) of say plant shrine,then il get those balls for the plant ones only right??

• Terin_lu says:

After you get the plant shrine, then get 50 level 10 plant/plant hybrid dragons you can level any plant/plant hybrid dragon up to level 15. That will get you more money from plant dragons (each level earns more money per dragon) and the little balls for each dragon as you level them up (I think about level 13). Plus you can even get them to level 20. Same thing, 50 level 15 plant dragons gets you able to level them up to 20. The shrine keeps track of how many dragons of each element you have. Look at the shrine info and you will see a number like this 25/50. Also, you don’t have to keep the dragons that you get to level 10. It keeps track even if you sell them.

19. Meghna says:

Oh okay now I totally get it :-) Thanx a ton for ur time and help! Lol, silly me..I never really saw the shrines as anything more than decorations :-D Still have to get a lot of them now,the max I have of any variety is 16/50 :-P ..God,I need patience!!!!! And a lot of dragon food too!! :-/

20. Xaysec says:

Add me, gem for gem. ID is Xaysex

21. Chang says:

Add me for daily gems but only to those who gem me back Anime-n-Tigers

22. A Girl says:

Add me. (: Gem for gem daily. Username: Balltap:3

23. cats4eva!!! says:

Hi,everybody!Wanna add me!PLEASE!!!:)!!!Lovin and PLAY?N dragonvale ? Will give you so many GEM,GEM,GEM!!!

24. Jenn788 says:

Dr. Mac! Check out the new eclipse dragon on fb! Please crack the combo for me! ;-)

• Terin_lu says:

Do you have a moon and sun dragon? If so some people are saying that’s the combo. I don’t have a moon, so I hope not… Could you check for me?

• Hangman0417 says:

Sun nor moon are breedable with anything but themselves, or their variants as far as I’ve seen. Just tested and sun and moon cannot be bred together :(

Add me and trade gems– Hangman0417

• ddddouble says:

It’s earth and blazing!

25. Terin_lu says:

Here is what I’m hearing. When they put in that eclipse decoration they made it so that once the deco is activated it makes it so that sun and moon are compatable. I REALLY hope this isnt the case because I done have moon.

26. Terin_lu says:

Ok, on the fb dragonvale they are saying earth and blazing to get eclipse.

• ddddouble says:

It is earth and blazing… And I got it as soon as I bought the decoration (I know they say decorations don’t make a difference…but I got it with blazing and earth right after I bought the decoration)…

• Terin_lu says:

I already had the deco and I don’t have it yet. Landed a 16 hour Dodo the first try. They say to keep that from happening breed blazing and lava. To late now. :(

• ddddouble says:

So sorry…was trying to help

• Terin_lu says:

Oh! Don’t be sorry! I did that breeding before you posted that so it wasn’t your fault or anything. And you’re right about the deco. It is suppose to help get it. I just never have good luck breeding epic dragons. Lol

27. Eric Loh says:

Tried blazing & earth and got 48hrs breeding time. I hope it’s not another rainbow.

• Terin_lu says:

I checked it on a app called dragoncalc. It’s got 1% chance of being moon, sun, seasonal or gold. No listing of rainbow but that’s all there is when usually they have one dragon that’s % is greater then the rest. I don’t know what it is.

28. earlobie says:

Wow, nothing on the eclipse dragon yet? OH, just my bad, it is Solar Eclipse dragon….. sorry

Will it be the same combos as the equinox? I see it can go in Sun or Moon habitats again. I would like to get this since I don’t have a sun or moon yet but, I do have and equinox.

Had a good week, getting both Seasonal and Topaz in less than 24 hours on the breeding island and in the breeding cave.

Thanks again for the great site and help with the breeding MacEnstein.

29. Matt says:

I see fountains on other islands, do they become available at a certain level or r they expired. Anyone help?

30. Ladytee76 says:

Got my moon with lava/air…having issues with the moon dragon. I did breed eclipse/sun to see if that will get it. Got a wait time of 48hrs. First time was another sun…fingers crossed.

31. Tyler33 says:

Need friend to gift gems for gems

32. Heidi says:

I am looking for a circle of friends to trade gems with. I have a gifting tree. My Game Center account is Hydronator. Add me if you need someone to trade with!

33. Heidi says:

I am looking for friends to trade gems with. I have a gifting tree and play daily. My Game Center account is Hydronator. Please add me if you need someone to trade with!

34. A Girl says:

Need some gem trading partners. Trade gems daily :)

Balltap:3 <– Add me :D

35. Heidi says:

I need some friends to trade gems with. I have a gifting tree and play daily. If you need someone to trade gems with, my game center account is Hydronator
    =)

36. hebe says:

add sdarren7 gem for gem daily 2 slot left. If slot? is full will not accept you my sincere apolgise. Have gem tree. cheers :)

37. Tyler33 says:

Need friends to trade gems for gems I play every day Tyler 33

38. Addme says:

Add me for gem for gem I have the dragonsai gifting tree and go on regualary my username Vader567

39. Brittanie says:

i got the solar eclipse dragon on the first try. the combination i used was blazing and obsidian :D you have to wait like an hour and 30 minutes or something like that… does anyone know what combinations that will get me a sun dragon??? besides add me gem for gem!!!!!!! =Book Worm=

40. Controlaltdefeat1 says:

PROBLEM, Air is meant to be up the pairs. because there is two ways.

41. Patriciab11 says:

Looking for people for trading, just friend me at patriciab11

42. Mike Paul says:

Does sun and solstice work to get solstice

43. Mike Paul says:

Does sun and solstice work to get solstice

44. Ciya says:

Please add me on Game Center! Need some one to trade gems with. I promise to send you one every day. Add me, gmastson

45. Matt says:

Add me, gem for gem. Hockeyman81 I won’t let you down, promise ill give you a gem back. Add me on Game Center. I play everyday.

46. Eri says:

Add me on game center! I play everyday and trade gem for gem, ChrisAngel105

47. Bob says:

I will give gems to you if you give to me…

Game Center Name: Officer30002

48. Bob says:

I do gem for gem…

Game Center Name: Officer30002

49. dan says:

there is now smoke dragon, mac. just a heads up.

thank you so much for all you do.