Macenstein’s Ultimate DragonVale Breeding Guide

DragonVale BREEDING Guide

*** NOTE: IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR DRAGONVALE FRIENDS TO SWAP GEMS WITH, PLEASE POST YOUR INFO ON OUR DRAGONVALE FRIEND REQUESTS POST, NOT ON THE INDIVIDUAL BREEDING POSTS. THANKS!!***

So it appears more than a few of you are looking for tips on breeding various Dragons in DragonValeicon (Free/Universal). If you’re not familiar with the game, you can read our review here, but suffice it to say it’s one of those “time burglars” where you raise and cross-breed various dragon-types to create the ultimate Magical Dragon zoo. Ultimately pointless, yet addicting. Unfortunately, some dragons can be hard to get, and though you may TRY to breed a combinations that looks like they should get you a hard-to-get Rainbow or Moon Dragon or such, sometimes it just doesn’t happen. So we decided to put out a list of what we have found to work for each Dragon Type. I currently have a couple of every dragon (my Game Center ID is “Dr Macenstein” if you’d like to check out my dragons) and while many of them can be gotten with different combos, I will tell you only what breeding combinations actually DID work for me. I will warn you that occasionally even the right combination may take up 20 times or even more, but I promise you, these combinations WILL work. Eventually. Also note a couple of these dragons are “seasonal”, and may not be available at the moment no matter what dragons you breed. Finally, I suggest for most hybrids you purchase the Breeding Island (located under “ISLANDS” in the market) as it can increase your odds when attempting to breed a particularly hard to get hybrid. That being said I think I have also bred most of these with the regular breeding cave as well. ALSO, please note: For pretty much every dragon I have found that the order does NOT matter, despite what people say. For instance I got a Plasma with Lightning and Seaweed, and my wife got it with Seaweed and Lightning. So feel free to mix up the order of my suggestions if you’d like. Again, I’m just telling you what worked for me. Also, if you breed two dragons and want to know what the result will be before they hatch, check out this handy “List of DragonVale dragon incubation and Breeding Times” I threw together. And if you’re looking for “Suggestions for winning DragonVale Races”, click here.

First up we have the “Elemental Dragons”. These cannot be bred – you have to shell out coins for these – so start saving. On the plus side, these dragons make up the building blocks for all other dragons, so once you have them, you can get the rest (well, ALMOST all the rest).

Elemental Dragons

(These can only be purchased with coins, or bred with an existing pair you have purchased)
EARTH DRAGON:
PLANT DRAGON:
FIRE DRAGON:
COLD DRAGON:
LIGHTNING DRAGON:
WATER DRAGON:
METAL DRAGON:

OK, so if you have two or more of those, let’s see what you can make!

(Click a Dragon’s name to see its breeding guide)

ABYSS DRAGON:

AUTUMN DRAGON:

BEARDED DRAGON:

NEW! BERRY DRAGON:

NEW! BICENTENNIAL DRAGON:

BLAZING DRAGON:

BLIZZARD DRAGON:

BLOOM DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around Easter)

BLUE FIRE DRAGON:

BONE DRAGON: (Seasonal – Halloween Dragon)

BLUE MOON DRAGON: (Only Available September 7th – 10th!)

BOUQUET DRAGON:

BRASS DRAGON:

BRONZE DRAGON:

BRONZE OLYMPUS DRAGON:

BUTTERFLY DRAGON: (seasonal – Only breedable in Spring – ended June 27th)

CACTUS DRAGON:

CARNIVAL DRAGON:

CAVE DRAGON:

CELTIC DRAGON: (Only breedable in March)

CENTURY DRAGON:

CHROME DRAGON:

CLOVER DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred in March (around St. Patrick’s Day)

CORAL DRAGON:

DOUBLE RAINBOW DRAGON:

DREAM DRAGON:

DUNGEON DRAGON:

NEW! DUSK DRAGON:

ELECTRUM DRAGON:

EMBER DRAGON:

EMERALD DRAGON: (Seasonal – can only be bred in the Month of May)

EQUINOX DRAGON:

EVERGREEN DRAGON

FIREFLY DRAGON:

FIREWORK DRAGON (SEASONAL – Only breedable in the weeks preceding and following the 4th of July)

FLASH DRAGON:

FLOWER DRAGON:

FOG DRAGON:

FOREST DRAGON:

FORGE DRAGON:

FROSTFIRE DRAGON:

FUNGUS DRAGON:

GAMMA DRAGON:

GARNET DRAGON: (Only breedable in January)

NEW! GEODE DRAGON:

NEW! JET DRAGON:

KAIROS DRAGON:

NEW! KITE DRAGON:

NEW! LAPIS DRAGON:

LAVA DRAGON:

NEW! LEAF DRAGON:

LEAP YEAR DRAGON: (Seasonal Can only be bred in February of a Leap Year, thus far)

NEW! LEATHERY DRAGON:

LIBERTY DRAGON:

LICHEN DRAGON:

LIGHT DRAGON:

LIGHT RIFT DRAGON:

LOTUS DRAGON:

LOVE DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around Valentine’s Day)

LUMINOUS DRAGON:

LUNAR ECLIPSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in the days surrounding a Lunar Eclipse)

MAGNETIC DRAGON:

OOZE DRAGON:

OPAL DRAGON:

ORCHID DRAGON:

OUROBORS DRAGON:

OVALITH DRAGON:

PALLADIUM DRAGON:

PANLONG DRAGON: (Can only be bred in “The Year of the Dragon” (2012))

PAPER DRAGON: Limited: Only available until September 24th

PEARL DRAGON: (Seasonal – can only be bred in the Month of June)

PEPPER DRAGON:

PERIDOT DRAGON: (LIMITED: Can only be bred in August)

PLASMA DRAGON:

PLATINUM DRAGON:

PHANTOM DRAGON:

POISON DRAGON:

POLLEN DRAGON:

NEW! PRISM DRAGON:

PROMETHIUM DRAGON:

QUAKE DRAGON:

QUICKSILVER DRAGON:

RADIANT DRAGON:

NEW! RAGNAROK DRAGON:

RAIN DRAGON:

RAINBOW DRAGON:

REINDEER DRAGON: (Seasonal – Can only be bred around December/Early January)

RIVER DRAGON:

ROOT DRAGON:

ROSE DRAGON:

RUBY DRAGON:

RUIN DRAGON:

RUST DRAGON:

SAKURA DRAGON: (Seasonal Can only be bred in April/May, thus far)

SALAMANDER DRAGON:

SAND DRAGON:

SANDSTORM DRAGON:

SAPPHIRE DRAGON: (LIMITED: Can only be bred in September)

SCORIA DRAGON (SLAG DRAGON):

SCORCH DRAGON:

SEASONAL DRAGON:

SEAWEED DRAGON:

NEW! SHADOW DRAGON:

SHIMMER DRAGON:

SILVER OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SILVER DRAGON:

SMOKE DRAGON:

SOLAR ECLIPSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in the days surrounding a Solar Eclipse)

SOLSTICE DRAGON: (SEASONAL – Only breedable around the Summer Solstice (June 20th in 2012)

SNOW DRAGON:

SNOWY BRONZE OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SNOWY GOLD OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SNOWY SILVER OLYMPUS DRAGON:

SONIC DRAGON:

SPARK DRAGON:

SPRING DRAGON: (Only breedable in Spring)

SPROUT DRAGON:

STEEL DRAGON:

STORM DRAGON:

SULFUR DRAGON:

SUMMER DRAGON: (Only breedable in Summer)

SUN DRAGON:

NEW! SUNSTRUCK DRAGON:

SWAMP DRAGON:

TERRADIEM DRAGON:

THUNDER DRAGON:

TOPAZ DRAGON: (Only breedable in November)

TREE DRAGON:

TURQUIOSE DRAGON: (Only breedable in December)

VICTORY DRAGON:

WATCH DRAGON:

WILLOW DRAGON:

WIND DRAGON:

WINTER DRAGON:

WISP DRAGON:

WRAITH DRAGON:

ZOMBIE DRAGON:

Comments
2,296 Responses to “Macenstein’s Ultimate DragonVale Breeding Guide”
  1. Helloooooo000o says:

Please add me!! I have all but four dragons! (except for the special ones from before i statrted). i always give gems. Helloooooo000o is my Game Center name. That’s with six letter o’s three.
    Zeros and one letter o. Thanks!

2. Bob says:

I do gem for gem… Please add me

Game Center Name: Officer30002

3. mark jose says:

add me up: mrkjse i give gems daily

4. Bob says:

Sent request…

5. Bob says:

I’m starting a huge DragonVale project on breeding every
    single kind of dragon. If you want to help out add me on Game Center.
    My name on Game Center is Officer30002
    If you need any help with breeding combos or
    reccomendations feel free to post a reply.
    Thanks for helping me out! If I make a website on
    DragonVale I’ll be sure to post that you helped me make
    it to that stage!

Thanks, Bob/Officer30002

• RedLeader006 says:

Hi Bob, good luck with your project. I’ve been trying to get at least 2 of every dragon and now at least 1 egg. Some dragons are pretty stubborn to get though. Lol if you do gem for gem I’m on DragonVale everyday. I need people that play and trade gem for gem everyday. People always say they’ll trade on here but it’s not regular. If you want a loyal gem trader add me and give me a gem and I’ll know your serious! Thx and Good Luck RedLeader006

• Helloooooo000o says:

I have every dragon! (Some are hibernating while I wait for more habitats. (Is it always one per level?). I got them all, thanks to Macenstein! My user name is Helloooooo00oo. That’s 6 letter o’s. 3 zeros and 1 letter o. I give gems back as best I can, since I can only do three a day I can’t always give it back ASAP. Like today I got at least five gems from friends- they rock! Do you all notice the friend list changes order?? Hard to keep track . I should start a written list. Also if I get more than three gifts at once, the notification only lists the first three. Don’t get me wrong, I always give gems back !

• Helloooooo000o says:

6. trossi says:

hi all anyone noticed the new dragon in the market the smoke dragon? I just got it by breeding firefly and pollen together. but I bet other air and fire combo would do it.

7. Lauren says:

Please add me: lauren251

New at exchanging gems but use the app multiple times daily

8. Zantaven says:

I just got a Smoke dragon. 14 hour incubation bred with flower and fog.

9. aGotenks says:

add me gem for gem id: aGotenks

10. Simon1906 says:

Please add me for gem to gem
    Id : simon1906

11. Sonicross says:

NEW DRAGON QUESTS:

There are 4 possible rewards that I’ve found so far:
    150,000 gold / 30,000 xp / 5,000 food / fragment

If you receive a 2 hour timer you did NOT get a fragment.
    If you receive a +2 hour timer you do get a fragment. (Level 1 Kairos)
    6 Hour / 9 Hour / 18 hour timer – Fragment
    If you receive a fragment you already have – you can exchange it for one of the other items.
    (NOTE: Food is the worst option as 150k is the 7th (out of 10) worst price per treat.

Quest Zones:
    Mount Dumme:
    Prismatic Rift:
    Mermaids Garden: Swamp Dragron got me a fragment
    Blitzenwood:
    Blizzards Breath: Iceberg Dragon got me a fragment
    Iron Crag: Copper Dragon got me a fragment
    Mount Spectre:
    The Dragonwallow:
    Greenwood Forest: Clover Dragon got me a fragment

Add me – Sonicross – I will trade gems!

• Sonicross says:

Additional Note: Unlike the “Race for Fragment” where you can win using a certain dragon type – you do not get a fragment every time with a certain dragon type.

• I updated the app but don’t see any quests. How do you initiate them?
      – The Doc

• Dee says:

If you already had/have Kairos, you don’t get the quests…. I had finished Kairos before this quest for fragments began and never got the links….a friend who recently started dragonvale does have the quests on his structure… He did say however that a dragon went on a quest and never came back, that was over three days…. I am not sure if that got corrected yet or not.

• Sonicross says:

On Level 2 Kairos –
      The Dragonwallow: Obsidian Dragon got me a fragment
      24 hour timer – the most expensive the fragment which costs 300 gems

• Sonicross says:

UPDATE!!!!!

Check the icons on the left and right sides of the word “Quest” – they are VERY SMALL. They are the hint at which dragon you need to send.

It is NOT a guarantee – but your dragon has a BETTER chance and getting a fragment for you!

GOOD LUCK!!!

• RedLeader006 says:

What did you use for Berrywhite Mountains? I got 24 hrs when I used a lvl 15 Scortch dragon. Is it a fragment?

• Helloooooo000o says:

Hi! I have kiros. I’m bummed I can’t play the quests. Who should I reach out to on this? I also think other games within dragonvale should be added, beyond the race track. It makes it more fun, especially when it’s a lag time of breeding waiting and not having a new habitat. Anyone agree?

12. Jason says:

The quests can be started by clicking on the “Kairos statue”. Then choosing a “piece” that you are missing. You then have the option to Quest or Race.

As I do not have Kairos yet, if you do have him I’m not sure the quest will be available.

I have confirmed with a friend that it seems the higher the wait time for fragments 6, 9, 18 as mentioned earlier seems to be based on the “quality” of the fragment. My 18 hour quest was the most expensive piece.

13. Terin_lu says:

From what I understand, Mac, you can only ses the quests if you don’t have kairos yet. You know how you went into kairos’s perch and you had a option of buying or racing to get pieces? I guess there is a third option now. :( real bummer since i already have kairos but maybe it means they are about to release a new legendary dragon.

14. Elizabeth says:

What is the referance to “a fragment”?

15. Ch3wy says:

I’m wanting to trade gems, I’ve got a gem tree and I’m on a few times a day
    Name: Ch3wy?!

16. Ch3wy says:

Im having problems seeing my friends to give them gems. They are still friends on my game center, but they arent showing up to give them gems

17. Ana says:

I dont know how to add people so if anyone can please help, my email is anaaliciathomas@hotmail.com . Thanks

18. Dudleyhar says:

Mac,

What can you tell us about the Kairos quests?

Thx

Dudley

• Sonicross says:

Dudley,

Check out my posts above. The Doc already has Kairos, the quests cannot be accessed for those who have him already. It’s meant as a additional way to get him for those who don’t.

Sonicross

19. Lisa says:

Has anyone had trouble since the update? I keep getting booted and can’t really play the game. Gather a few coins, reboot. Harvest, reboot. Etc. Forget breeding or trying out the new quests. Am I alone in this? I’m getting frustrated!

20. Katy says:

I have 2 daily gems to give away will do gem for gem swap every day, did do this with someone but they have never given me a gem back, so asking other people, game centre id is Katybabe101 add me and if ur the first 2 i will accept and give u gem as soon as the game allows me, will give gems everyday unless I’m not given any back again. Thanks and ADD ME :)

21. Max says:

Add me. Haterted7 I do gem for gem.

22. puowhvm says:

looking for a few trust worthy people for gem for gem daily. add me: puowhvm.

23. Angel says:

Game Center ID: PAPADIAPOLIS

Gems!!!! Hmu if u send GEMS

24. Cordell says:

Looking for 2 gem trading

25. Cordell says:

Looking for 2 gem trading partners my ID: tzezan add me ill give you gems back

26. Leora says:

Add me, please! Gem for gem! Leorakitty78

27. Officer3000 says:

Add me… Officer3000

28. Brian says:

Gem for gem, I’m on all the time brianphook

29. Daniel M says:

DANNIELITO_28

Lets exchange Gems!

30. Nick says:

Smoke Dragon: (14 hour Incubation) Lava + Fog

31. Aaron says:

G4G add me Cyborg_66, please no time wasters if your not gunna gem back please don’t add

32. RedLeader006 says:

Dragon Quests (Kairos fragments?)
    Does anyone know what dragons to use for the quests to get the fragments? I still need one more fragment to get to Kairos. For example, what’s the best dragons to use for Berrywhite Mountains? Plus all the other quests. Thx and I do gem for gem RedLeader006

• RedLeader006 says:

I got 24 hrs using a Scortch dragon for Berrywhite Mountains FYI

• Sonicross says:

Check my posts above for more help and suggestions about the quests. But here is basics….

33. Amary says:

Hi add me

Mary brys

And

Alan-Mary

Thanks

Trade gems we have gem trees

34. Munger 46 says:

If anyone friended me on gamecenter (munga 46) send me gems plz

35. Maf says:

Please add me Level 40. Gem trea. Kairos and best of all willibg to trade gems.
    Game centre: MAF:)73

36. benny says:

I DO GEM FOR GEM ADD ME GAME CENTER RENDOVA ALL CAPS

37. Trooper4life says:

I will do gem for gem Game Center:K1ingKong21

38. Keeter50 says:

I will give gem for gem and i have a gem tree add Keeter50 to ur game center friends

39. Rj windows says:

New at exchanging gems but use the app multiple times daily. Will send gems to everyone I have the gifting tree so ill send lots.. Add me on Game Center Rj Windows

40. Austin says:

I would like to make some friends on Dragonvale gem for gem I will send you gems please send me some.My Game Center is Speedyninja45.Plz respond as soon as possible with a friend request Thank u!

41. mrbusy1989 says:

please add me as friend.
    will send you gem if you send me too.

42. dan says:

doc, turquoise is up. just to let you know.

43. wicked28i says:

I’m sure is lucky this day! Got 31hrs breeding time on my first try with Poison and Swamp combination. Good luck to all! :)

44. Zoomer says:

Zoomer81 is my game center name… Have tree and play everyday..

45. Bailey says:

Add me lax4life26 gem for gem I will send a gem back I promise you

46. Danidee777 says:

I am having a hard time sending gems to my friends, when I go to my friends the tab is there but it’s dark like I already gave my gems but I didn’t. Says I have some left to give, not sure what’s going on, I want to give gems back so they won’t stop sending them to me, can anyone help?

47. Bob says:

I will give you 10000 gems if you give me 1 gem for a week my name is ciaraduggan1207

48. Kate says:

Seeing two new dragons in when I check out the market in “eggs.” Glacier and Platinum dragons. Just a heads up!

49. Christina says:

Hey Doc there are two new dragons. Platinum and Glacier.
    I got Glacier with Earth and Ice.

50. Mike Paul says:

Glacier and platinum?

• Patrick says:

I checked other sites and got platinum with quicksilver and water with a 40 hour with upgraded breeding cave and I got glacier 3 times in a row using earth first and cold last, it did not work the other way around.